How to Install CyanogenMod 9 on Galaxy W
CyanogenMod 9 is now available for the Samsung Galaxy W users. The custom ROM is based on the Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS which is available for high-end smartphones only. With the Alpha release of CM9, you will be able to upgrade your Galaxy W to Android 4.0 ICS and you will also be able to use all of its features. In the following tutorial, we have covered how you can install CyanogenMod 9 on your Galaxy W smartphone. The process is quite easy and doesn’t involve any hard steps.
You first need to ensure that you are installing this ROM on your Galaxy W. Check out the model number of your phone from the Menu>>Settings>>About phone and it should display all of your phone details. If the device is different, then you shouldn’t apply the procedure below on it. The CM9 ROM will walk you through all the features of ICS until you get the official update from your company. Even though the developers have worked hard to bring this ROM in front of us, there still are some bug to be fixed and ironed out. So, if you are ready to install the ROM, follow the tutorial below.
- Installing this ROM will wipe off your phone data. Therefore, you are recommended to take a backup of all your important files. This way, you can restore the backup after you have installed this ROM.
- Please check the battery level of your phone. It shouldn’t be less than 60% as it could interrupt the process.
- If any Antivirus software is running on your PC, just close it down.
- You must have ClockworkMod Recovery 5 installed on your smartphone. It’s available here.
- Download CyanogenMod 9 (MediaFire)
- Download Google Apps on your PC.
After you have done with the above pre-requisites, just follow the guide given below.
Steps to Install CyanogenMod 9 on Galaxy W:
- Download both CM9 as well as GApps to any folder on your PC. Make sure you put both the files in the same folder.
- Using the USB cable, connect your phone to your computer.
- Copy the CM9 and the GApps files to the root folder of your smartphone. It should make finding files easier at a later time.
- Unplug your device from the computer when both the files are successfully copied to your phone.
- Power OFF your device and then turn it ON in the recovery mode. It should boot into the CWM5 Recovery.
- From the recovery that you entered, choose Wipe data/factory reset. It will wipe the data on your phone.
- Choose Wipe cache partition to clear the cache.
- Now, select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard.
- Locate the CM9 file for flashing and select it. It will take a few minutes to flash the file.
- After the CM9 has been flashed on your phone, choose install zip from sdcard>>choose zip from sdcard once again and this time, select the GApps file for flashing.
- When you are done with the GApps flashing, choose reboot system now from the recovery menu.
Your phone should reboot into the CyanogenMod 9, letting you feel the Ice Cream Sandwich. You can expect some bugs in this build, however, a bug-free version will soon land at XDA.
Source: XDA Forum